Friday, July 8, 2011

The Road (2009, John Hillcoat)

I know I know, I'm late to the party on this one, but I figured I should comment on it since I've read the novel. Anyway, this was a fairly decent adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel of the same name. It largely followed the original plot and Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee portrayed the Man and the Boy really well. Unfortunately, that just wasn't enough to make it a truly great adaptation. There's something about the novel that was just so much more compelling. This is probably due to the fact that when one reads a novel, pretty much all of the imagery is left to the reader's imagination. Unless of course you're reading one of Robert Jordan's books. With a film, however, all of the images are there for the viewer and I think The Road just didn't quite capture the imagery that my mind came up with when reading the novel. There were, however, some good visual ideas, such as the complete lack of color in the landscape. The book is better, but if you're not much of a reader, the movie is worth a watch. 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment