Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Thing Prequel - Poster Released!

Check it out!  It's very classic and simple.  Overall, I like it.  My only complaint I guess is that the poster looks a lot like some of the original artwork.  Then again, the original artwork is very effective; it always gives me goosebumps.

Originally, I wasn't too excited for this one because it was labeled as a remake.  When they decided to make it a prequel, the film became much more appealing.

Now the question is, will it live up to the original?  Probably not.  I'm thinking they're going to resort to CGI in lieu of brilliant "real" gore effects.  The cast & crew section of imdb for this one looks very CG-artist heavy.  Unfortunately, that's just the most cost effective way to do effects these days.  There are some times where CGI is going to look better than real effects, just because there are some things that can't be done with real effects.  Hopefully there will at least be some non-CGI creature effects.

The director, Matthijs van Heijningen Jr., doesn't have much on his resume, but that's not necessarily a problem.  Detention (2011) was an absolute blast and nobody suspected that a movie from the guy who made Torque (2004) (and not much else) could be anything but terrible.

For now, I remain hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment