Friday, August 10, 2012

What's up with all the lens flares?

Total Recall (2012, Len Wiseman) - 118 min.

I found the time to see Total Recall this week and enjoyed it well enough.  It is far from a cinematic masterpiece that provides epic revelations about what it means to be human, but it was good sci-fi fun.

Based off of the story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick, one might expect the film to be a readaptation of the story, rather than a remake of the Arnold Schwarzenegger film from 1990.  Unfortunately, it falls under the remake category.  I say "unfortunately" because I think that it would have been really fun to see a new take on the short story.  All in all, I'd say that the two Total Recall films are about even in my mind in terms of enjoyment.  All in all though, I think I prefer watching the 2012 version.  The fact that Colin Farrell is shirtless frequently during the film may or may not be a (the) main reason I prefer the remake.

Acting?  Nothing to complain about.  Effects?  My only complaint is the excessive use of post-production lens flares.  Adding a lens flare when there's no light source for it is kind of weird.  Story?  Pretty darn good.  But that's expected from a film based off of a Philip K. Dick story.  Unless of course the filmmakers royally screw up the screenplay.

Verdict:  Check it out if you're in the mood for some not-too-heavy sci-fi fun.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete