Friday, February 15, 2013

Why Superior Spider-Man isn't worth my money

Spoiler alert for those of you who are almost two months behind in the world of Peter Parker!

















As everybody knows by now, Peter Parker died in ASM #700.

Here's how it went down:
Doc Ock performed a mind-swap, sending his consciousness into Peter Parker's body and Peter's consciousness into Doc Ock's dying body. Peter came so close to switching them back, but couldn't and Peter-in-Doc-Ock's-Body died. As he died though, his life flashed before his eyes, which Otto-in-Peter-Parker's-Body somehow saw as well, thereby causing Doc Ock to understand why Peter became Spider-Man. He then vows to take Peter's place and become the Superior Spider-Man.

Sounds complicated and unbelievable, right? It is, but it's comics so we'll have to get over it.

ASM #700 marked the finale for the series. I thought I would cry like a baby throughout the entire issue, but I didn't. I just kind of sat there in disbelief for a while. Not disbelief that they had killed Peter Parker, but disbelief that his death was so anticlimactic. Honestly, I think that Peter deserved a better death. I know he'll probably be back (nobody stays dead in comics except Uncle Ben and Thomas and Martha Wayne), but his death was so lame and felt kind of half-assed.

Even though I wasn't a fan of how they offed Peter, I decided to give Superior Spider-Man a try because I trusted Dan Slott to write something compelling. He's been doing a superb job writing Spidey since Big Time. Superior Spider-Man #1 came along and while it was well-written and the art was great, I couldn't help but feel betrayed. One of Peter's worst enemies is occupying his body and taking over his life. It's a bastardization and betrayal of everything that Spider-Man is to me. What I love about Spider-Man comics isn't Spider-Man's powers or his costume, it's Peter Parker and his ideals and sense of humor. Seeing what should be Peter Parker acting so selfish and violent really bothers me. I know it's not actually him, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

At the end of SSM #1, Dan Slott throws a curve ball. Kind of. Peter Parker still sort of exists! His consciousness is attached to his body in the form of a ghost. Woah big surprise guys, Dan Slott found a way to make it so Peter Parker is still a part of the series, therefore stringing fans like me along with the possibility that Peter will come back!

Really?! This is incredibly frustrating for me because it's so obvious that I'm being strung along. It's such a blatant money grab that I'm sickened by it. I'm really disappointed in Dan Slott and Marvel for this. I trusted them to treat my favorite hero with the respect he deserved.

Just tell me when Peter is back in his body and I'll start reading Spider-Man comics again.

No comments:

Post a Comment